Why Does My Basement Leak When It Rains?
When water enters a building, it can cause damage to the roof and other parts of the structure including the basement. The best way to avoid this is by fixing basement leaks promptly. However, many people don’t recognize when they have a leak in their basement or what might be causing it. This article will go over some common reasons for water leaks in basements.
Causes of a Leaking Basement
There are many causes of basement leaks. The most common ones include:
- Broken or cracked piping. If you have any joints or pipes that are leaking, they will usually affect your home’s foundation. This is because the water flows through these pipes to keep your house cool during hot weather and heated during cold weather. If you notice that the water pressure in your home is low, it could mean that there’s a crack somewhere and the water is spilling out.
- Cracks or gaps around pipes. If you have any exposed piping near your foundation, such as hot or cold water supply lines or electrical wiring, you may want to scrutinize them to make sure they don’t have any cracks. Even the tiniest crack can let in a lot of water, so it’s essential to fix them as soon as possible.
- Damaged or broken sealant. Many homes have a layer of sealant around the basement’s foundation to keep moisture out. If this sealant is damaged in any way, there’s a good chance that water will leak in.
- Overflowing gutters and downspouts. One of the most common reasons why basements get flooded is when leaves and other debris accumulate around the home’s gutters and downspouts. If you find that your gutters are overloaded, make sure to clean them out regularly.
- Poor drainage around the home. If your home is built on a slope, it’s crucial to have good drainage, so water doesn’t flow towards your foundation. If the soil around your home is too wet, it can also cause water to seep into the basement.
Should I Fix A Basement Leak Myself or Call A Professional?
If you notice any leaks around your home, most of them can be fixed with some minor repairs. However, if the leak is severe or persistent, it might call for professional help. A basement waterproofing contractor will be able to inspect your basement and determine what’s causing the water damage so they can fix it properly.
Leaky basements can cause a lot of damage to your home, so it’s essential to fix the problem as soon as possible. If you’re not sure what’s causing the leak, have a professional take a look at it. They’ll be able to identify the source and provide you with a solution so you can keep your home safe and dry.
Klein Home Solutions Your Preferred Basement Waterproofing Company in PA, NY, & OH
If you require wet basement repair or waterproofing and are in the tri-state area (PA, NY, OH), Klein Home Solutions is your best option. We have been providing quality services to our customers since 1982 and have a team of certified professionals who are knowledgeable in all areas of basement waterproofing.
We offer a variety of services, such as basement waterproofing, crack repairs, and mold removal, to name a few. We also provide a free inspection so that you can understand the severity of the water damage in your basement and the necessary steps to take for repair.
The sooner you detect and fix a leak, the minor damage it will cause. If you suspect that your home has a problem with water leaking into its basement, call us today to schedule an inspection and for more information on how we can help.
To learn more about our services or to receive an easy free estimate from the company that offers “Quality Work at a Fair Price,” call us at (814) 456-5605.